Sunday, April 20, 2008

"I Want My Pluggie"

I have a dilemma. My cutie, patootie, little Miss Gracie Mae LOVES her "pluggie". She is so attached to it. She is only allowed to have it at nap time, bed time and in the car on long trips. She loves it so much that even if she just woke up, she will go back to bed to have it again. I will tell her to go put it back (in her bed) and now she hides it in her clothes. I unzip her sleepers or see a little bump on her chest and there it is. I see her playing, she falls down and starts to cry. She digs into her shirt, pulls out her plug, puts it in her mouth and is happy again. Gracie's two most treasured items are truly her plug and her blanket (which her Granny made for her twin sisters, but she has now confiscated them for herself).

The dilemma I face is that she goes to bed instantly without a peep with her two favorite items. No hollering, no rocking for ages, no twenty trips to pat her back and lay her back down. She just snuggles in her blankie with her little bum in the air and goes right to sleep, even if it is not nap time. Maybe I will wait just a little longer (obviously this is my fifth child and not my first). There is pure enjoyment and delight in her face when she hears those words, "Do you want to go nigh-night?" Yes, maybe just a little longer.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

Let her keep it, its not worth the crying and screaming. Its her comfort. We went throught the same thing with Owen and one night he just decided he wanted to throw it away and he did by himself and that was the end of it never asked for it again. She will give it I mean how many 18 yr olds do you see walking around with a binky :) Good luck with that one!!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Pluggie is such a funny name for that! I had never heard it before! We never had that issue with Noah. I tried to force that binkie on him. I would look as all the quiet babies at church had binkies. Needless to say, Noah was not the quiet one!

John & Jessica Skiba said...

"Pluggie" is a funny name, but I didn't realize it until John said, "what kind of name is plug?" My mom used that word, I think like to plug the baby in.

Holly Schwendiman said...

Hee hee - talk about memory lane! My 5 year old was so married to his blankie and binkie I thought he'd never let either go. He still keeps the blankie around but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the binkie loss was!

Hugs,
Holly

Naylor Family said...

"Plugies" can be such wonderful things! I don't see any harm in them, especially when it's just at bedtime! With Taylee I slowly cut the end off a mm or 2 at a time every 3-4 days until it was finally to short to suck on and she handed it to me and I had her got put it in the trash! Better a binky then a thumb-those can't be thrown away! Your kids are so cute!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

That is so funny! Husbands are great arent they? I think they are the only ones who take something totally normal for you, and make you question it. What the heck?!

Linz said...

I say let her keep it. Neither of my kids used the binki, but Auri sucked her thumb. Then one day she just stopped. So, from my experience, she'll probably give it up when she's ready! It's not worth the trauma!

Jen said...

Very cute Jess! Let her keep it! She has earned it by virtue of being the fifth child!!! It is her comfort in times of chaos... My last one is a thumbsucker and it makes him so happy, I can't bring myselft to do much about it right now!

Heidi said...

I learned a long time ago not to force kids to give up things like bottle or binkies - all of my kids reached a point where they just stopped wanting them and it was quick and painless - it's so not worth all the drama. Don't sweat it.

Robynne said...

I love it!!! That's too cute! Why mess with a good thing - you've still got time to take it away later. With my "plug" babies, we only let them have it in bed or trips, like you were saying. Then when they turned 3 we took it away even at night. There was a little crying but they got over it pretty quickly. That's adorable - I love it!

P.S. Be glad it's a plug rather than thumb - our thumb sucker is still going strong (but same rules - only in her bed at night is she allowed to suck it)! I forget sometimes that she still does because I never see it, except sometimes when I go into her room to check on her late at night. She's also my last child, and they seem to get away with a lot more! :)

P.P.S. We also did the cutting off a bit at a time thing that one of your other comments talked about - that helped as well!

Grandma Jo said...

I love the pictures of Gracie with her pluggie and the pictures of the twins in their fancy nightgowns from their crazy Grandma. I am so lucky to have such cuties for Grandkids.