Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Hot Dogs and Halloween

I need to catch up on a couple of events. Halloween happened already and I haven't put up that post yet, so I am doing two posts in one day!! I was just talking to my friends while we were at the park and I was telling them how inconsistent I am. I really did want to do this blog as a little journal for our family and cute sayings, but I just can't make it up those 14 stairs in our house to the computer often enough. I keep forgetting to record days like I had a little while ago where everytime I turned around, some crazy random mess was there. I was out detailing the car and was in the back picking up old chicken nuggets, socks, barbie dolls, tools, etc... and was just about done when I saw Sammy run by with red markings all over her. I recognized those markings immediatley as Sharpie markings which are strictly forbidden in our house (but of course I have them because I need to write the kids' names on their water bottles). I guess I am not good at hiding them. Sammy had taken that marker and had written all over the driver's seat along with the console and steering wheel. After cleaning up that mess as best as I could, I walked inside and the house was turned upside down. The freezer door was wide open, Ollie was running around the house with mud up to his ankles and a box of cereal was tipped upside down from the top shelf with a pile of crunched up Cheerios underneath it and, of course, our girls were all half naked running around in their underwear. Later on that day I found a box of popsicles under the computer desk that had obviously been there for a while because the carpet was juicy and red. That is why it takes me about 8 hours to clean the car. My intentions to not waste money on something I can do myself usually go by the wayside because the consequence of not having my undivided attention on the kids requires too much energy, clean up and time. I'd rather pay the $16 dollars... until I forget and do the whole thing over again.


Halloween was great! Our Bishop asked each family to make a "Family Mission Plan". Our ward missionary was telling me that she may not be a good proselyter, but that she throws a Halloween party for her street to help strengthen relationships. I decided that was a great idea. Powell and I handed out 110 fliers to the houses in our neighborhood the Saturday before Halloween and bought 700 hot dogs, 700 buns, 10 giant cans of chili, 15 lbs of cheese and 10 lbs of onions. I must have an intense fear of running out of food, because we now have a year supply of hot dogs. We used almost 300, but will now have chili dogs for every other party we throw. John is the same way because we have about 10 bags of candy left over as well. (He bought all the candy). Thank goodness for John becasue he is always the one who buys the pumpkins, carves them and helps the family do fun holiday stuff. Sometimes I get too bogged down with the big stuff that I forget about the smaller, family stuff.



Jeff, Heidi and Wrigley came over and looked sooo cute. I wish I would have planned better so that I could have dressed up and gotten John to as well. Powell was a ninja, Hannah was a princess ninja, the twins ("Hammy" and "Hopi" - that is what they call each other, it is hilarious) were BYU cheerleaders and Gracie was a witch (Grandma Karen bought that for Savannah and Haeley, but it was a little small so she gave it to us).














7 comments:

Heidi said...

So happy to see an update!! Your kids costumes are really cute, I especially love the BYU cheerleaders. Your neighbor party sounds like a lot of fun...

I can totally relate to your pain with children and their messes--I feel like all I do all day is clean up after my kids! And I can't take my eyes off Mason for a second-that little devil gets into trouble fast!

Robynne said...

You are INSANE!!! As you already know...I LOVE your blog and the reminders about life being so fun! At least it's fun for those of us who are looking in at you! Someday this too shall pass, even if it doesn't seem like it now...

You guys looked GREAT at Halloween!

That block party was CRAZY, but GOOD FOR YOU! That's great you headed it up.

Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Lindsay Kay said...

I didn't know that you blogged! Your family is adorable. I absolutely love how positive you are. I look forward to more words of wisdom from Jessica!:)

Lindsay

Sarah said...

You're awesome Jessica!

thewylerfamily said...

Hey Jes, I found your blog from Lindsay's. How fun to see your adorable family. We should get the kids together and go to the park or something.See ya at church tomorrow.

Jen-ben said...

Jessica!!! How crazy that I just found you through another blog!! This is Jen Fauset from Flag...well now we're in UT. Your family is SO dang cute! And you look fabulous as always!!! keep in touch!! jenfauset@gmail.com

Aimee's Family Journal said...

You guys are so darling. I love your family. Can I be one of your kids?